Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Intro To Couponing!

DISCLOSURE:  This is not an update on Kate, just something I've promised some friends that I'd do... but, Kate is well, and walking, "talking" and laughing all over the place, haha!  Okay, I'll post some pictures of her "first Easter egg hunt", which she LOVED, surprisingly!  Those will be at the end :) 

Now, on to the topic at hand!

I'm new to couponing, so I can't really say that I know how to do this very well, but I am giving it a try and so far am quite impressed with how much I can save!  So far, I have mainly stuck with Target, because the resource that I primarily use had some good Target deals (Thanks My Baton Rouge Mommy!!)

First step:  Find those coupons!  Where, you ask?  Here: coupons.com, smartsource.com, redplum.com, target.com (it is in a little link on the bottom of their page... tricky!) AND from your Sunday papers, of course!  Although, I do find that there are a lot of duplicates, but more is better, right??  (especially in the case of diapers... which we always need and they don't go bad :) You can just about always print two of each coupon from each computer, so make sure you go back and print those second coupons! 

My big tip:  If you don't use it, don't print it and don't clip it.  Don't spend MORE money by getting $1 off a $5 item that you never needed and will never use.  Stick to those things that you know you need or will need! 

Okay, now that you've wasted about 13.6 trees to print and cut out all of those coupons, and they are three to a page, in a stack... somewhere... or for those of us with waddlers, all over the floor, since, you know, stuff does NOT belong on coffee tables, or any table for that matter... what do you do?? 

Second step:  Make your list.  Like I said, I am not a pro at this and am just kind of figuring out what works best for me, but I like my strategy so far.  I sort through my coupons, both manufacturer and store coupons, while looking at my resources that give me the *matchups.  I make my list based off of what things I actually need, the matchups and the expiration dates.  If the item is on sale this week, and I have a coupon OR if an expiration date is approaching, I may go ahead and buy those paper towels, but if I have another month, and I really don't need them yet, I just put those aside, because likely a good sale is coming! 

*Matchup?  What am I talking about, right??  Matchups show you what stores have sales, in ADDITION to coupons, which enables you to save BIG TIME... it's one way the "Extremers" do it... I am NOT an extreme couponer, but I do at least check the matchups to see if there are any good ones out there. 

Confused yet??  I know, me too, but that's why I don't do things in extreme.  Start slow.  I keep a plastic folder with my coupons in them and usually just store all of my coupons in it until I have time to clip/sort.  I think I am going to organize mine based on expiration date, since I like to make my list based off of the coupons I have and think they'd get lost if I sorted them based on "category".  We'll see how that works. 

The things to really look out for are 1. sales + coupons and 2. if an item has both a manuf + store coupon (like from Target, Walgreens, etc.).  For this, you can use 2 coupons/item: one manuf. plus one store coupon.  Also, if you are buying 3 packs of diapers, you can use 3 manuf. and 3 store coupons!  The best is when you can buy an item on sale, plus use store and manuf. coupons!! 

So, what rewards have I reaped??  I've gone shopping three times since I've started, and like I've said, all have been Target trips.  I've also used their credit card, which gives an auto 5% discount on all purchases!  On my first trip, I spend around $180 and saved $36, then spent $200ish and saved $45, then last week, I spend around $250 and saved $86!!  The increase in cost over the three trips was really just a reflection of what we needed, not me spending more to save more... like I've said, ONLY BUY WHAT YOU NEED! 

So, what do the "Extremers" do to get hundreds of dollars of groceries for $2.06??  Well, from my basic and uneducated understanding, they hoard.  If papertowels go on sale and they have coupons and they can buy them for 3 cents, then they buy 450 packages of papertowels for a grand total of $13.50. Or, let's say Walmart has a deal where there is a 12 cent overage if you buy the travel size antibacterial bottles plus a coupon (yes, Walmart will PAY you to shop!), they will purchase 600 bottles (or as many as they have in stock), for a credit of $72.  But who needs or wants to deal with all that??  Not me... at least not yet! 

Disclaimer:  I really don't know what I am talking about, so if you have experience and have tips, additions, corrections, etc. PLEASE let me know!! 

Also, here's a little prize, just for playing ;)  Free Sample of the day (while supplies last)

... and, the promised pictures!!!  (Personally, my favorite part ;))



 

 

0 comments: