Our baby girl is looking great, as usual, and she actually let us admire her adorable little face for a few minutes last Friday. This is one of the very few times we have been able to see that little cutie pie's face, since she very much enjoys hiding it from our view. I definitely sense a stubborn one coming our way... which means she'll fit right in ;) But, this past Friday, she allowed us to just watch in wonder and awe while she seemed to look right back at us. Again, the tech laughed at how much hair she has and pointed to the little fluff that seems to float above her head! She is weighing in at around 4 pounds 10 ounces, did a great job with her practice breathing and all signs continue to point to a healthy baby girl! Once again, relief swept over us, as we proudly watched our perfect little girl in absolute amazement.
Then we move on to speak with my ob, Dr. G, about where we stand and the plan for the remaining several weeks... but, let me back up just a tad: Last Monday I went for a checkup with my eye doctor, who just so happens to be my wonderful cousin, Nano (if you are looking for an eye doc in Houma/Thib, you should definitely give her a call... she's awesome!). These appointments are important because retinopathy is one of the potential consequences of diabetes, and it can also worsen in pregnancy. About 7 or 8 years ago, I had laser treatment due to some retinopathy in my eyes, but since then, all has been just fine. However, at this last appointment, Nano spotted some new areas of concern. She said it wasn't bad and would likely lessen after I have the baby, but recommended a c-section to prevent any further damage since going through labor can cause it to get worse. Not exactly what I wanted to hear and I decided to wait until I spoke with Dr. G to get her thoughts before getting too emotionally attached to the idea of a c-section.
Well, of course Dr. G agreed with Nano and a c-section it will be. Basically, Dr. G said that she would induce me around 38 weeks regardless, and even at that point the chances of me needing a c-section after attempting an induction and hours of labor were still high. While there are risks involved, it is the safest bet with my diabetes and she feels the most comfortable with it... so, who am I to argue? Either way I am going to have a beautiful baby girl and I just want what is best for both of us.
She also said that at this point, if anything pops up, like high blood pressure, etc., instead of bed rest, she'll just deliver me. She said that things have just been so smooth so far that if something does come up, she feels comfortable that baby girl will be perfectly fine! So while I still feel as though the chances of an earlier delivery are not likely, she can be here at any moment... but at the latest, she WILL be here on Wednesday, March 31st!!! Um, that's right, just about 3 weeks away!! YIKES!
Setting an actual date makes it all feel so real, and while I am a bit scared and even a little disappointed about needing a c-section, I am so so anxious to meet my girl!!
Monday, March 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Design by Gisele Jaquenod
5 comments:
So close and so exciting! We are praying for all three of you, and I can't wait to see that baby girl!
(I just realized you changed your blog. Silly me.)
I know everything will be perfect for you and Baby Girl. Sounds like you have excellent care. It is getting very exciting indeed now, very close. You are in my prayers. Can't wait. Love all three of you, Aunt Marcia
Yay! How wonderful!
I can't believe how close it is! We are so excited for y'all and cannot wait to meet that sweet little girl. Y'all are going to do great. Enjoy every second of it and take lots of pictures, then post them on the blog!!! :)
Just a litte while longer and you are not going to believe the amazement and miracle. I continue my wishes and blessings for your entire family. Love you all
Post a Comment