On Monday, February 15th, my Papa, my Mom's father, passed away in Naples, Florida which means that we have one more angel in heaven cheering for us and watching u
s from above. He is so greatly missed already! He was an amazing man, and even though I did not get to see him on a regular basis since my Mom's family is in Florida, I cherished every moment we were able to spend together. I've kept almost all of his emails (those sent to me, anyway... he was a huge fan of forwards ;) ) and I've held every piece of advice he has given me very close to my heart. He may have been a man of few words, but each word he did speak to me or write to me has made a lasting impression. He was so grounded and knew the value of hard work and dedication, as evidenced here, from this email he sent me SEVEN years ago today:
s from above. He is so greatly missed already! He was an amazing man, and even though I did not get to see him on a regular basis since my Mom's family is in Florida, I cherished every moment we were able to spend together. I've kept almost all of his emails (those sent to me, anyway... he was a huge fan of forwards ;) ) and I've held every piece of advice he has given me very close to my heart. He may have been a man of few words, but each word he did speak to me or write to me has made a lasting impression. He was so grounded and knew the value of hard work and dedication, as evidenced here, from this email he sent me SEVEN years ago today: Nothing is more important than practical experience. Wish you the best, darlin', and make the most of it. Papa went from High School to the U.S. Navy in WWII, but in prior years from age 10 did many things from selling magazines door-to-door, delivering newspapers, selling newspapers on a street corner, hauling groceries for 5-cents per order (some of them a mile or more from the grocery store), laying linoleum in new homes on week-ends (12-hours per day @ 50-cents per hour (good pay in those days---1940 & 1941). In my Junior year in High School I was Asst. Mgr. of an A&P Supermarket, even though I only worked a few hours after school on week-days and about 12 hours on Saturday. My compensation was 38-cents per hour. Early in my Senior year, I was offered a job with Reliance Electric & Engineering Co. in Cleveland as the Asst. Director of War Transportation & Rationing on the second shift---4 P.M til Midnite. I was paid 50-cents per hour, which was a bundle at the time. I didn't get a lot of sleep in those days but I learned a lot and felt fairly rich. My job was to make the applications for Company employees for Tires, Shoes and Gasoline Stamps. I was able to take Shorthand & Type at the time which primarily qualified me for the job. My point is that you can achieve whatever you want to achieve if you put your mind to it and don't take 'NO' for an answer!!! Love, Papa P.S. All of the foregoing constituted my "College Education" equivalent.
Of course, he went on to be instrumental in the development of Marco Island and was hugely successful in real estate, because it was what he was passionate about and he knew the importance of hard work... I have many messages that focus on the importance of finding something you love.... "One must pursue a career which is a "Labor of Love" and not merely a "Labor"" especially during the time when I was unsure what I wanted for my future.
I am just so saddened that I will no longer have new words of wisdom from him to rely on...but at least he has instilled many great values in me and I always have an idea of what he might say, even though it will never be as eloquent or with the same weight as it would be coming directly from him. There are so many things I already miss and I feel something in my life is missing now that he is gone... and I'll even miss those forwarded emails!
In other news, our new angel definitely did his part... another good ultra sound and another good doctor's appointment. I'm on my feet for another week and we have another week under our belt!! Still hoping for another 5 - 6 weeks.... maybe 7 if all continues to go as it has! We can't ask for more of a blessing than that!
5 comments:
I am so sorry for your loss. He seemed like a wonderful man, and you were so blessed to have him in your life, and to have the precious advice from a member of the "Golden Generation." I sure am going to miss that group, goodness knows we still need them.
And speaking of "Labor of Love" - won't be long...she'll help fill that little gap, I promise.
Love y'all!
Oh, Suzanne!
What a lovely tribute to our beloved Papa! I'm sure he is smiling in heaven while all the angels and saints hear how much he was loved and how much he will be missed. You are so dear to post this on your blog along with that precious picture of Papa and your Mom. I love it!
I had been wondering if you'd give Papa tribute by naming your little darling, Neilia Eugenia, but I think Papa is more pleased with your blog entry. :)
With much love,
Aunt Debbie Bahr xox
Suzanne, I'm so incredibly touched by your entry about Papa. He so loved counseling and encouraging you especially during your law school years. You get your drive for work and achievement, and for making a difference from him.
I loved his letter to you about all of his early 'careers'! I didn't even know all those things that he did, but I knew in those post depression years every penny mattered and he helped his family.
His example formed my character, as he was a man of integrity and scruples that is rarely found anymore. No finer man ever lived and I am so proud to say he was my father.
And right now is tickling that little girls toes whispering in her ear to be a good little girl for her mommy and daddy!
love, Mimsie
Suzanne,
Thanks for your tribute to your Papa. All of our family members loved and respected him greatly. He was a remarkable man who lives on in our hearts and minds. He has now concluded an exemplary life and we all look forward with great anticipation to your daughter's arrival on the scene.
love to you and Brad,
Uncle Mike
Suzanne, I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a remarkable man. I know you will miss him. Grandfathers are very special and their memories will last a lifetime. Yes, another angel watching over you and Baby Girl. Love you, Aunt Marcia
Post a Comment